America’s Best Idea – the national parks – is even better when it’s free!
- September 28 – National Public Lands Day
Here’s a tip-265 of your 398 national parks NEVER charge an entrance fee. So start Planning Your Visit!
If you’re planning a trip that includes multiple national parks, you might consider the $80 annual pass that provides entrance to all national parks, national wildlife refuges, national forests, and many other Federal lands-more than 2,000 in all. This America the Beautiful National Parks and Federal Recreational Lands Pass is offered free to all active duty military members and their dependents. Information on these and other pass options is available online.
*Fee waiver includes: entrance fees, commercial tour fees, and transportation entrance fees. Other fees such as reservation, camping, tours, concession and fees collected by third parties are not included unless stated otherwise.
Some nearby ideas include:
- Brown vs. Board of Education, Topeka, KS
- Fort Scott, KS
- George Washington Carver Natl Monument, Joplin, MO
- Homestead Natl Monument, Beatrice, NE
- Harry S Truman, Independence and Grandview, MO
- Santa Fe Trail, multiple locations
- Tallgrass Prairie, Emporia, KS
- Wilson’s Creek Battlefield, Springfield, MO
There are a number of badge opportunities available through the National Park System. Explore both the Heritage and Outdoor Skills Frontiers for ideas.